IOM Tajikistan Today
Migration Health Projects
Migrants and mobile populations benefit from an improved standard of physical, mental and social well-being, which enables them to substantially contribute towards the social and economic development of their home communities and host societies.
IOM’s objective is to promote evidence-based policies and comprehensive integrated preventive and curative health programmes and services which are beneficial, accessible and equitable for vulnerable migrants and mobile populations and meet the needs of States in managing health-related aspects of migration.
Migration Health Strategy
IOM works in five interconnected strategic functions to ensure migrants' right to health throughout the migration process:
- Advocacy: Advocate for health-inclusive migration management policies and programmes, as well as migrant-inclusive health policies and programmes
- Health Policy Development: Assist in the development of evidence-based national, regional and global policies to promote and protect the health of migrants
- Health Service Delivery: Provide migration health services at the request of and in agreement with concerned States, and facilitate, provide and promote equitable access of all migrants to comprehensive health care
- Capacity Building: Raise awareness and knowledge of governments, Regional Economic Communities (RECs), civil society and migrant groups on migrant health issues. Build and strengthen technical, operational and coordination capacity of States and other stakeholders to develop and implement migrant health initiatives
- Research & Dissemination: Strengthen understanding of migrants' health issues, by facilitating and conducting research to ensure evidence-based programming, policy and dialogue. Disseminate information on migration health issues to inform and mobilize States and other stakeholders on migrant health issues
The Operational Strategy 2012-2015 identifies the key thematic challenges and priorities guiding IOM's programmatic interventions in Tajikistan in the upcoming years.